The new internet of .Brand – Private generic TLD
There is an endless race of acquiring a domain name and getting that catchy name but in coming future internet Brands will have full control over there TLD’s (Top Level Domain), I love to call them Private TLD.
With over 600 brands applied for Private TLD in the year, 2012 and ICCAN hosted and launched hundreds of them in 2018.
What if Private gTLD?
DOT Brand top-level domains that are used by corporate where they put a brand name to the right of the dot instead of a dot com or a dot net or some other part of TLD.
So you may have seen on internet sites like .dog, even .bank gTLD, .power, and even .bus. In fact, most of this domain TLD can be registered with Netspace (India) and other registrars.
Coming years will be the will poised to be the year of DOT brand.
Many large companies across a wide range of industries had applied for the use of there own .Brand TLD and either has launched already or will be watching them in coming days.
Companies like Amazon, VISA, or Sony, Ali Baba and many many others brands you know are changing the way they do business on the internet now.
Indian Brands like Reliance, TATA and LIC are already owning there respective .brand TLD. In fact, SBI even started using .SBI as per the circular issued by SBI Bank for use of generic Top Level Domain of BANK.SBI from www.sbi.co.in.
Benefits of using your own .Brand gTLD.
- The biggest benefit of having DOT Brand is having full control of DNS system, Companies will not be depended on the registry to manage there top level TLD.
- The race for the good keyword based TLD will be over
- Companies can make there own rules like who can have there DOT Brand domain name. Will it be public or private gTLD.
- All of the companies websites will be in there own DOT Brand network.
- Full control over security.
- No Third Party dependency.
How to register your own .BRAND gTLD?
For the first, you need to wait for ICCAN to open next round of application for owning your own top-level domain. Once the dates are out you or your company can apply for your own gTLD.
ICCAN is expected to publish a guidebook to register your own gTLD.
The entity needs to apply with detailed documents to ICCAN as per the guidebook.
Due to various factors, it is not possible to provide you with a fixed cost price to apply and register a gTLD or your own DOT BRAND TLD. I have however provided you with a breakdown of the New gTLD ICANN fees.
|Instra gTLD Application Fee||$25 – $75,000||$35 – $100,000||$35 – $100,000|
|Netspace (India) Fee OR||$50,000||$50,000||$50,000|
|ICANN Statutory Application Fee||$185,000||$185,000||$185,000|
|Annual Registry Fee|
|Instra Registry Global DNS Solution||$15 – $25,000 (3)||$35,000||$35,000|
|ICANN gTLD Annual Maintenance Fee||$24,000||$24,000||$24,000|
|ICANN Second Level Domain names registered (3)||$0.25 per SLD||$0.25 per SLD||$0.25 per SLD|
|ICANN Dispute Fees (5)|
|Rapid Dispute Panel (1 member per hour)||$32,000|
|Rapid Dispute Panel (3 member per hour)||$77,000|
Once you get approved from ICCAN then you are proceed to launch.
Which simply mean setting up your gTLD in DNS, setting up policy for your DOT Brand and eligibility and finally putting your gTLD in the operation like if you want it to be offered to Public or Private registration only.
Is gTLD is open for only BRANDS?
The simple answer is YES, anyone who can manage to arrange fees and file application can book a generic gTLD.
however only companies can apply for DOT BRAND.
There is no guarantee that all the applicant will get the applied gTLD and ICCAN follows very strict screening for approval.
Why use Netspace (India) for getting gTLD?
At Netspace (India) we have an enviable global reputation giving you peace of mind in the knowledge that we have your best interests covered and are experts at what we do.
- Enjoy the security and ease of the Netspace (India) gTLD management and aftercare service
- Expert industry input into the completion of the application
- Plan of full technical services for registry development
- Support approaching any objections to the application or a possible auction requirement
- Assistance with the ICANN contract process once the application is approved
- Preparation for launch in terms of registration policies and technical requirements
- Ongoing support with ICANN compliance issues and policy development